Saturday, January 28, 2012

Directions to The Canary Kitchen

Yogi Teabags are more than just tea.

The following is a paraphrased comment from a friend on my Facebook wall:
I keep seeing your posts with all these yummy food dishes, so I googled "Austin + Canary Kitchen" because I really wanted to go there to eat.  Surprisingly there was not one listing for some awesome, out-of-the-way, gem of a cafe.  I am SUCH a dork.
That made me laugh.  Not at her, of course, but with her, because I could totally see myself doing the same thing.

The posts she's referring to are my Instagram photos that I often share to both Twitter and Facebook.   My latest social networking addiction, Instagram is a wonderful creative outlet for me to share what I see of the world.  Whether it's food, sunsets, tree branches, or the people I love, for me it's about capturing the "everyday beauty" that may go otherwise unnoticed.





 
And when posting photos of the culinary creations from my home kitchen, I playfully decided to set the location of the photos to "The Canary Kitchen."  The reactions to that decision were unexpected, to say the least.

Before my blog and before my iPhone, I would still take pictures of the food I was making, but not with the intent of anyone else ever seeing it.  I loved photography, I loved food, and I loved cooking, but I never really thought that anyone else would care or enjoy it like I did.  For a long time, I've had dreams of being a chef, opening my own restaurant, writing a cookbook... but they were just that: fanciful dreams that amounted to little more than fleeting distractions from reality.

But finally taking that risk and putting my food out there has opened my eyes and allowed me to take a good hard look at my perception of 'reality.'  From friends to strangers to chefs whom I admire and respect, people are seeing food the way I see it, and it's not weird or off-putting to them.   On the contrary, it actually seems to be appealing and attractive.  Ranging from blog/photo comments, others using my recipes, to people wanting to come to a restaurant that doesn't exist yet, the response has taken me off guard in the best possible way.

And inevitably, people are also seeing the dreams behind the food, the blog, and the photos, vulnerable and exposed.  And what's been an even greater surprise to me is that many are choosing to believe in those as well. 
*******
I know that I'm on this path for a reason. And while some may see it as a detour, or a scenic route,  away from the "real world," I have faith that it's leading me in the direction of my dreams. and a reality that I will have a hand in creating.  And "The Canary Kitchen" is but one of many destinations to look forward to.

These are selected food photos from my Instagram feed.  Bib may be required.  
Please enjoy.


Filipino Fried Rice

Homemade Croutons with Herbs

Shawarma Spiced Molasses Cookies

Habanero Hummus over Braised Greens
 
Sauteed Bok Choy & Sweet Potato with Fish Sauce

Raspberry Pear Clafouti with Rice Whip

Seared Chicken & Braised Chard in a Citrus Vinaigrette

Acorn Squash, Quinoa Pilaf, and Roquette

Spicy Cinnamon Popover with Mango Pepper Jelly

Pancit Canton for the New Year
 *******

To follow my photos on Instagram, or as one dear friend lovingly called it, "Jonathan View," please follow this link to my Statigram webviewer.  There you can not only see my photos, but you can comment on them as well using your Facebook account.  

"If the doors of perception were cleansed,  
everything would appear to man as it is - infinite" 
- William Blake

Thank you, as always, for reading and Thank You for being a part of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting The Canary Files. I hope you have enjoyed what you have read and seen. Your feedback is valuable to me and I read and reply to every single comment. So sincere thanks in advance for sharing not only your thoughts, but your time as well.

All the Best,
Jonathan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...